Thursday, June 08, 2006

It's that day of the year















Dear Marc, I don't know how you feel about 4th of July, but I'm sure you're not embarrassed by it. We just celebrated our national day here. We were all embarrassed. Since Norway broke up with us back in 1905, we don't know what to do about our national day. We don't want to come off as too nationalistic so instead of celebrating our glorious past and superiority as a people like most countries do, we salute the Swedish flag.

Our national day goes by the name of "The day of the Swedish flag".

Vanja didn't understand why she got the day off from school, but she embraced the concept from scratch. "You go, Swedish flag".

Watching budding friendships like that, I feel I don't have to worry that she'll miss out on the material joys of life.

You have any outfits in yellow and blue for 4 year olds laying around? Actually, do you have anything in any color of any size just laying around? I'll be happy to take it.

Today, I'm wearing clogs, jeans and a t-shirt with a seal on it. Perhaps this is as close to a Swedish national costume as I'll ever get.

What do you wear for 4th of July?


Ps. I once had seal pizza. Pizza with seal meat on it. Don't put that on your must-not-miss list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A seal pizza??! I have no words to describe the grimace on my face at the thought of that recipe. Eeeew. That's the best I can come up with. Your outfit sounds so darn cute! I want a t-shirt with a seal on it. I do have one with an ant on it but it's so old now it's become an emergency pajama top. Not so cute anymore. As for the 4th of July, I'm a Canadian currently living in the US so I'll be watching fireworks alongside true Americans wearing red, white and blue. Incidently, Canada Day is on July 1st. Maybe I'll wear red and white that day, in honour of my canuckness.

emi guner said...

and let yourself sparkle with maple syrup!

Anonymous said...

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4228/731/1600/100_0282.jpg