Thursday, January 12, 2006

Shy in the shower











Dear Marc, are you into manners? I mean, do you know how to behave in better surroundings? I don’t really know what I mean by better, I guess what I’m asking for is: do you dance the dance rich people dance?

Do you use the right forks, knives and glasses? Do you squeeze out a tear at the right moment at the opera? Do you remember titles and act appropriately at all times?

Most importantly, do you know exactly when to great thy neighbor?

I have the following tricky question of manners for you:

Post-exercise at the gym, you run into your neighbor in the common shower room. Do you avert your eyes or do you say hello?

This happened to me not so long ago. I averted my eyes and thought of a biblical story I never liked. You know, when Noah got himself into a drunken stupor and his sons walked backwards into the tent to cover him up. And somehow I think even that was wrong. I always thought that was so unfair. But in the gym shower, it made sense to pretend that what we were nakedly experiencing was not really happening at all.

Was that correct? Or was I rude by ignoring my neighbor’s dripping presence?

As a celebrity, perhaps you don’t frequent gyms and never experience dilemmas like this.

But I’m sure you have some queries about etiquette like the rest of us.
I told you mine, now tell me yours.

Clean, just showered greetings
-e

No comments: