Monday, August 21, 2006

The devil wears whatever.

Dear Marc, you've probably read "The devil wears Prada". I'm struggling through, currently on page 125 out of 390. The heroine has just described her dream man, clad in Gucci jeans and LOAFERS with TASSELS and a BLAZER. And he's not even 70 years old.

Does this book pick up in a few pages? How did it become such a hit? I just read "The nanny diaries", which was enjoyable, but this one....

How many books did you read this summer so you could watch the movie and complain about mal-casting?

Scarlett should be a perfect nanny, but shouldn't someone like Catherine Keener play Mrs X? With, say, Robert Downey Jr as Mr X? Instead of Laura Linney and Paul Giamatti filling the X's shoes. But they will probably be just perfect.

I've bought the books, I'll see the films. It seems my goal in life is to contribute to the wellbeing of already wealthy Manhattan girls.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, it doesn't pick up one bit. I've started reading "The game" by Neil Strauss instead - much more fun.

Bernadette Pasley said...

I've seen "The Devil Wears Prada" already (Go to my blog to see a review!)and, it's usually hard for me to read the book after seeing the movie. I picked it up at Target and thumbed through it. It didn't look as interesting as the movie so, I put it back on the rack.

Wide Lawns said...

Oh no. I had no idea thats how the X's were cast. What were they thinking?? They couldnt be more off. I better be my own casting director when they make a movie out of my blog, so none of this miscasting nonsense happens to me. Dear lord, they would probably choose some anorexic blonde to be me.

' said...

I just read The Nanny Diaries and it was one of those books that you read only because you have nothing else to do and after finishing you wonder why you ever picked it up at all. I just thought it was really BORING :D. So I probably shouldn't buy a copy of The Devil Wears Prada then, I guess :)

Anonymous said...

I read The Devil Wears Prada a few years ago...I haven't seen the movie yet because well, the book was horrid.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I've read The Nanny Diaries and you're right, Laura Linney and Paul Giamatti as the X's??? Huh??

kelly said...

I read "The Devil Wears Prada" this summer while on a business trip. It was frothy and mindless, but
the ending was awful.

FWIW, I recommend "Hens Dancing" by Raffaela Barker.