Friday, October 28, 2005

When I’m a guest on Letterman


Dear Marc, I wonder what you daydream about. I daydream about being a guest on the David Letterman show. Sometimes I know all the cuts and meats. Sometimes I'm one of the star guests. I daydream that I will be one of those young lady guests that he always says look fabulous before yawning and fiddling with his papers, looking like all he wants is for a more interesting guest, like a sports agent guest, to come on the show. But since I’m no longer young and not that pretty I daydream that he might treat me like the interesting guest that I am.

When thinking about this, I often spend most of the daydreaming time considering what to wear. Often I’m wearing a casually elegant outfit such as this:




Or perhaps I should go with the outfit worn by Ms Ryder. But with a slip since I'm kind of a prude.

Below the knees, problems arise. I can not imagine anything making me more nervous than appearing on Letterman. How do people do it? Beta Blockers? Cocaine? Both? Sometimes I think that is what I’ve seen. Did you see when Farrah Fawcett was on Letterman a few years back? Was she high on life alone? Giddy after painting large canvases with the help of her naked body?

Power to Farrah. She went and she confused us. She made a lasting impression. All I know is that I’d be so nervous I wouldn’t be able to walk, especially not in heels. This is where my daydream gets stuck. Would it be okay to appear barefoot on Letterman?

I was talking to P the other day, discussing the qualities of the talkshow. I said: ”But don’t you think it’s difficult to live like Letterman and the band do, having to be away every night. Don’t you think they miss their social life and how do their families take it?”.

Her response was a mild but slightly surprised: ”Don’t you know they tape the show?”.

I am E. I am five.
What will you wear on Letterman?

-your e

6 comments:

Damn It Anyway said...

I dream about putting away the late show bear.

Anonymous said...

I think it would be just great to make an apperance on Letterman with barefeet. Probably it would make you feel more confortable, more at home. Still, nobody goes barehearted which is what really counts. I do not watch much television, because i think what is really thrilling is real life. A great landscape, an orange sunset, the taste of some red wine or the smell of the sea and the feeling of the salty water on the skin. Well i am an island guy and that might be the reason. still....

oh, i like very much the concept of the blog. nothing heels the soul better than a piece of clothing that seems that it is ment for you.

Federico

Anonymous said...

On Letterman I will wear a suit made entirely of bacon. At some point during the show, pitbulls will be let loose.

The Affable American said...

Looks like the bots picked up the link from BoingBoing like I did. I like your blog because it reminds me of someone special to me...

brett said...

I don't know what clothes I would wear, but I would certainly include a hat. No one on TV wears a hat, except Dwight Yoakam on the Daily Show. You couldn't see his eyes, not once. It was almost mezmerizing, his eyes shrouded by that huge bill.

Yeah, I'd wear a big ol' hat.

Anonymous said...

I have come to the conclusion that a great number of Letterman's celebrity guests are on drugs and quite possibly their contraband of choice is coke. A large number of his guests apear to be happily confident and not nervous yet incredibly fidgety and engage in some high speed, erratic conversation which seems by lettermans reactions to stray of the chosen topics of conversation. I swear many of his guests are on uppers and quite possibly the show is aware of it. Often a more erratic guest will after the ad break sem more subdued and chilled out, making me think that Dave has told them to get a grip on thier drug induced high. One poor bloke, some guy who had something to do with the movie Kids (either the director or script writer) clearly had the misfortune of taking downers instead of uppers and sat their in quite an incoherent mess and Dave told him to go back t his hotel and have a shower.